Heating systems should last between 10 to 30 years. Typically, after 10 years, your factory warranty runs out, making repairs more costly to fix. This is why it’s so important to Maintain Your Heating System throughout the year.
There are a couple of things you can do during the cold winter months to keep your furnace or heating system running at peak performance. In our most recent blog, the HVAC technicians at Schmidt Mechanical discuss some easy ways to maintain your heating system and what can happen if you avoid regular maintenance.
Easy Ways to Maintain Your Heating System
Maintaining your heating system might seem a little intimidating, but we have some quick and easy tips that you can do regularly. You won’t get dirty or have to mess with the gas line, we promise!
- Change your filters regularly.Changing your filters keeps your HVAC system clean and removes allergens from circulating in your vents. A blocked filter also causes your system to work harder and can lead to premature wear and tear.
- Upgrade your thermostat. Changing your thermostat batteries regularly is a way to make sure there’s always constant communication between your furnace and your thermostat.
- Clean around your furnace and vents. Furnaces tend to live in dusty places, and that dust can also get into the furnace. It’s important to vacuum or sweep around the area regularly to keep your furnace healthy. The dust on your floor often makes it into your vents and into your heating and air conditioning system, too. Keeping your house clean is good for your furnace and the air quality in your home.
- Make sure your home is well sealed. Check your vents and any drafty areas in your home for leaks. Leaking air will make your system work harder and use more energy. Seal any holes in your vents and ducts to prevent them from leaking warm air. Keep windows and doors closed during the winter months, and if you have drafty windows, seal them with window insulating film.
- Stay on top of yearly maintenance. Having your furnace inspected every year with a seasonal maintenance agreement from Schmidt Mechanical can ensure that your system is current and in good health. We’ll set up seasonal inspections and deep cleanings so you’ll always have a well functioning system.
What Happens If You Don’t Keep up with Regular Heating System Maintenance?
If you don’t perform maintenance on your furnace or heating system, you may have some problems further down the line, and they can be expensive. The first thing you’ll notice is higher utility bills. When your furnace isn’t maintained, it loses efficiency over time. This means your home’s rooms won’t get as warm, but your furnace still uses the same amount of energy if not more to try to heat them. Because you’re still using energy, you’ll notice an increase in your gas and electricity bills right away.
If you’re thinking you can afford a few higher energy bills, there’s more you should worry about. An unmaintained heating system is more likely to have problems and will need repairs. These repair bills can be costly, especially on an older heating system. If you neglect your heating system, eventually it will suffer so much that you’ll need to replace it. Replacing an HVAC system is not cheap, so make sure to properly maintain it.
When to Call a Technician for Repairs
Unfortunately, even if you are very diligent in your heating system maintenance, there’s still a chance you will need repairs now and again. If you notice any of these issues, call the professional technicians at Schmidt Mechanical right away:
- Odors and smells coming from your furnace like burning plastic.
- Noises coming from your unit like squeaking, grinding, and rattling
- Inconsistent temperature from room to room
- Your heater constantly turns on and off, known as “short cycling”
- You’ve tried all the maintenance tips from above, but your utility bills are still very high
Call Schmidt Mechanical for More Heating Maintenance Tips
The professional technicians at Schmidt Mechanical are available 24/7 for heating and cooling repairs. See why San Antonio residents trust Schmidt Mechanical to properly maintain their HVAC systems all year round. Call us today to have a technician come to your home and inspect and repair your unit. Our professional technicians will get your system in good working order in no time.